Cynically Sweet (Booklikes)

Dead to the Max
Jasmine Haynes
The Street Philosopher
Matthew Plampin
The Lovely Harbor (Matt Ransom 4)
Bobby Underwood
JUST DESSERTS: a romance novella you won't want to put down
Emma Bennet
The Writing Circle (Voice)
Corinne Demas

Cleanse the Soul

Cleanse the Soul - Nelson Lowhim I managed to find a coupon code to get Cleanse the Soul, a short story by Nelson Lowhim, for free today. To explain a little bit about it. The story opens and we find a man called M, who is a captive in a particularly brutal prison. Waking one day, he has no idea why he has been brought here and his no idea about what he has done wrong. Tim comes along and the interrogation begins. M gets little impression of what he is supposed to have done wrong, but Tim pushes for a confession.

I felt that this was written very well. Though I didn't feel connected with M or even completely understand what he was feeling, I think that the author has done a good job in relaying to us what type of condition he is in. It's kind of disgusting at times, but the author has obviously thought quite a lot about what M might be going through and his particular feelings at each point in time. We go through M's fears, confusion, desperation and depression. There are a lot of aspects that aren't explained by the end of the book, but I felt that very little information works well in this story. In a strange way, I think that makes it more relatable. When he mentions his missing family, he doesn't think about anything specific, so it could almost be anyone in that position, missing their family. With the little information we have about the arrest, it could almost be any one of us arrested under misinformation and accused for a crime we did not commit.

Overall, I felt that it was a good work. 4 stars.