Cynically Sweet (Booklikes)

Dead to the Max
Jasmine Haynes
The Street Philosopher
Matthew Plampin
The Lovely Harbor (Matt Ransom 4)
Bobby Underwood
JUST DESSERTS: a romance novella you won't want to put down
Emma Bennet
The Writing Circle (Voice)
Corinne Demas

Purple, Silver, Olive, Orange: A Short Story

Purple, Silver, Olive, Orange: A Short Story - Helen  Smith I got this book from Amazon for free today, having been sent a link through a newsletter. Purple, Silver, Olive, Orange: A Short Story by Helen Smith is about a couple. Sarah wanted someone who enjoyed poetry and to bring her flowers. Ryan wanted a thoughtful, gentle woman who liked a bit of banter. Neither particularly got what they really wanted. Soon enough, an inspector comes along to ensure that they've both met each others' standards. Do they pass the test or not?

I don't quite know what to say about this book. It seemed like it was meant to be whimsical, though I wouldn't necessarily say that it hit the mark for me. I found it to be more strange than amusing, while the portions that were meant to be funny were a little tiresome rather than laugh-worthy. I think that the main problem, for me, is that the book doesn't really explain what's going on particularly well. The product description on Amazon.com.au simply lists the book as "An entertaining short story set in a futuristic England..." I think we're just meant to assume all three are robots and leave it at that.

I didn't hate it, but I didn't necessarily think it was brilliant either. It was a reasonable story and worthy of three stars.