Cynically Sweet (Booklikes)

Dead to the Max
Jasmine Haynes
The Street Philosopher
Matthew Plampin
The Lovely Harbor (Matt Ransom 4)
Bobby Underwood
JUST DESSERTS: a romance novella you won't want to put down
Emma Bennet
The Writing Circle (Voice)
Corinne Demas

Gypsy Hunted

Gypsy Hunted - Andrea Drew Gypsy Shields is a psychic, named because of her grandmother who'd had the gift as well. She's conned into a matchmaking session and is set up with a police detective called Connor Reardon, with whom she has dinner with. Later, he leaves her his business card and leaves. After she pays for her dinner, she leaves and finds a crime happening. It's a woman being kidnapped, coincidentally a woman who works with Connor. Gypsy is then injured and wakes up in hospital. Despite the injuries, she still tries to help the investigation.

The main character, Gypsy is a pretty dull person, with conflicting personalities. That's mainly due to the way she's been written. The author sort of intends her to be like a cool person, having stayed out drinking into the earlier hours of the morning, having it off with many people. Yet, the author later changes their mind and makes a point that Gypsy hasn't had sex in a year. At one point, a character describes her as feisty but, apart from one joke, I didn't get why anyone would think that. She complains many times about the arguments with her sister that her sister apparently starts, but then she continually initiates the arguments. She complains about Mark many times, an ex with whom she'd broken up ten months ago. Her main problem is that, within the month of their break up, he was seeing someone else which she is obviously jealous of. It was ten months ago, get over it, Gypsy. Also, they had broken up so he's allowed to do what he wants. Gypsy treats other people kind of badly. She looks down on others, mentioning that she's smaller and better looking than others. Gypsy has a younger sister, Leah. The author makes comment many times that Leah is a lesser person than herself, noting that Gypsy is more pretty and successful. The worst thing about the whole situation is that she boasts her relationship with Renee, Leah's daughter, is so much more special. In fact, every scene between Leah and Renee, the author makes it look as if Leah is a terrible parent. Leah uses all sorts of bad language in front of the child, fighting with Renee's father and not understanding the situation. My main problem with this is she actually does seem to be a very good mother, it's just that the author writes her as if she's a terrible person. She works two jobs just to support herself and Renee. She tries to take steps to protect Renee from all the bad events that are going on. She makes reasonable choices to protect her daughter.

Though Renee sort of has antenna to Gypsy's gift, Renee seems completely useless. Firstly, the author overdoes it with this special relationship with Gypsy. It seems more creepy than special and kind of looks as if Gypsy is grooming her. She even goes to an extent to try and make her hate her mother, making it out as if Leah doesn't care about her. Also, Renee is somewhat spoiled by Gypsy. Not to mention, she's also demanding. In the book, she mentions that Gypsy owes her at least two movie visits and a shopping trip for all the effort she put in. When we first really get to know about Renee, we start with scenes of her in school. She looks into her desk and finds that a boy, David, had left her some sort of necklace. We go on to find out that David had stolen it from his sister just for Renee. She gave it back, but now it's in her desk. She calls him out on it in front of the entire class. Deliberately seeks to embarrass him. That's it. That's the entirety of that plot line. That is such a nasty thing for her to do. She has such a terrible personality. It only just really serves to make her look popular. The entire portion plays no real place in the overall book. Anyway, getting on with the actual story, she's on the way home and someone drives up, claiming that he knows Gypsy. It's a creep scare tactic, but the author doesn't bother explaining how this creep might know who Gypsy was, much less how he found out about Renee and enough to follow her from school. Later, we find that it's because he went online and found it from Gypsy's website. Yet, that still doesn't explain how he came to find Renee's school and that stuff.

Connor Reardon, the new boyfriend is pretty dull as well, also stuffed with over the top information. It's difficult to understand because it's so complex. When he was eighteen, he had an affair with his elder brother's wife. Nine months later, she gave birth to Christie. Both the brother and wife died, leaving Christie and the other child, Aaron to be adopted by Connor and Jill, his wife. Yet, because they couldn't have kids together, he and Jill broke up. He blames it more on the IVF than the fact that he worked twenty hours a day, he claims. Actually, he blames Jill for most of it and implies it's her fault that their marriage was ruined. The entire relationship between Gypsy and Connor doesn't work for me. Firstly, they're set up together by one of Gypsy's friends, which is a plot device I always hate. It's cliche because so many people use it, not to mention that it's odd to have two characters who didn't know each other before meet and have them hit it off so well. Also, later on she doesn't really have any friends, especially ones that appear in the plot. It's silly to introduce friends, never to mention them again. Next, is the events of the kidnapping. Soon enough, he comes to visit her in hospital. Despite her horrid condition, he looks at her, finding that he likes her even more and can't wait to talk to her more. It just seems like such a ridiculous plot device. He had only met her once before and now he's suddenly in love. I do believe in love at first sight, but nothing about their relationship seems genuine. Also while in the hospital, she uses her "telepathic radar" to reach out to him, but there's a closed off portion of his mind. She pledges to get his secrets. Yet, what about the missing woman? It's so selfish of her to try and satisfy her curiosity while there's a missing woman. Later on, the relationship continues further, but it's just useless. It's not a relationship I want to know more about. To me, they have no real chemistry. The emotions the author writes for them just feel so forced.

The writing is a bit odd in style. It's a bit over explanatory with details all through out the book. It just makes it looked like the author took all sorts over attributes to add to the book, but just stuffed them in at once. All of the char

As for the psychic elements, I don't think that the telepath portions were properly introduced. Kind of seems as if they were forced into the story. Firstly, Gypsy is the one who mentioned a telepathic ability. Yet, she mentions forcefully later on that she hates the term 'telepathy'. Kind of hypocritical to refer to yourself as a telepathic, but then complain when anyone else refers to you as one. The telepathic portions were stupid, I hate to be blunt, but the story could have gone well without them. Overall, they weren't necessary and only really served as a plot device to make Gypsy seem interesting. Though, that fell short. My big wonder is why she was named after the grandmother. Sure, the parents wanted to respect the grandmother, who apparently had 'the gift'. Yet, they parents couldn't be sure that their daughter would have the gift, especially at her birth when she had no opportunity to use it. It was only later that she herself found out that she had it. In the story, Leah doesn't have it. However, what if the gift had skipped Gypsy and Leah had it, if the roles were reversed? That would mean that the name is wasted on someone who doesn't even have the gift. As a plot device, it only creates more confusion than understanding.

I'm just going to stop the review here sort of and summarise my opinion. When I first read the blurb, I found that Gypsy Hunted is a book that I quite wanted to read and, wanted to like. It has a great premise; a telepathic woman who witnesses another woman being kidnapped and tries to help solve the case. Yet, the telepathic moments felt quite useless. If they were not included (if they were replaced by the use of telephones or just speaking to another), than the novel wouldn't be much different. The majority of characters were unlikeable, unrelateable and nasty people. The one person who did seem kind of likeable, Leah, was deliberately made to look nasty. Which is ridiculous because she was the only one with genuine motives for her own actions and had realistic ideas and expectations. The writing, plot and character development all need a lot of work. I can see the author being a brilliant writer in future, though it's going to need a lot of work. I received a copy free, curtesy of the author via the Firstreads program. Despite receiving a free copy, these are just my honest thoughts. I'm sorry I didn't like it, but it's just my opinion.