Cynically Sweet (Booklikes)

Dead to the Max
Jasmine Haynes
The Street Philosopher
Matthew Plampin
The Lovely Harbor (Matt Ransom 4)
Bobby Underwood
JUST DESSERTS: a romance novella you won't want to put down
Emma Bennet
The Writing Circle (Voice)
Corinne Demas

Rising Tide: Dark Innocence (The Maura DeLuca Trilogy, #1)

Rising Tide: Dark Innocence (The Maura DeLuca Trilogy, #1) - Claudette Melanson I won Rising Tide through a First Reads giveaway. I began reading it this morning and managed to finish it within 2 hours and forty-five minutes.

I found it to be an interesting mix of various genres. It was mostly a romance, between Maura and Ron, fraught with the various problems of Maura's oncoming move to Canada. Within this, she was overcoming various medical problems and some very life changing decisions. Although I guess it was kind of a slow novel, I really quite liked the way that it was sort of a "coming of age" novel for Maura and the author has weaved the paranormal beginnings of the youth.

As I said earlier, it's a bit of a slow book, but I think it works well because we find out the origins of Maura's concerns and her problem solving to help herself. I think it was nice and sweet how, despite the beginning friendships, she manages to find some people who support her throughout her various problems.

It was weird how she began referring to her mother by her first name. I just thought it wasn't explained in the beginning, else I might have missed it, so I was confused about who she was referring to. I think it was kind of sad about the bullying that she needs to overcome in the beginning of the novel, from the cheerleader. Though, I think it was kind of obvious about what was going to happen to her from the "new friends". The new friendship she then begins with Ron seems a little too good to be true. However, I kind of understand the way the author has written his position as the main focus of the novel is Maura's transition to her new life.

I did like the introduction of her father, though I think that the novel ended a little too quickly. I wouldn't refer to it as a "cliff hanger" ending, but it does end without full explanation of the events and what's happening to Maura apart from her being a vampire. I would really like to read the next book when it does come out as I am somewhat interested in the oncoming events in Maura's life. I'm interested to know whether she talks to Ron about it, Merina or even her new friends in Canada.

I think it's well deserving of 5 stars. Though it's a bit slow, I think it works well and I'm really interested in reading about what happens in the next book.