Cynically Sweet (Booklikes)

Dead to the Max
Jasmine Haynes
The Street Philosopher
Matthew Plampin
The Lovely Harbor (Matt Ransom 4)
Bobby Underwood
JUST DESSERTS: a romance novella you won't want to put down
Emma Bennet
The Writing Circle (Voice)
Corinne Demas

Rocket Ship Galileo

Rocket Ship Galileo - Robert A. Heinlein I like a reasonable amount of information in the books I read and Rocket Ship Galileo was quite informative. The book begins with three teenagers playing with a rocket they'd made as part of their little science club.

When the opportunity comes, to adapt their learnings to large scale experiment, they take it. Dr. Cargraves, an uncle of one of their club members, is a scientist and he's looking for a new team of scientists to help manage his goal. The book was originally published in 1947 and, I imagine, it would be a laughable goal. Going to the moon? That, even now, is the talk of people with an imagination.

I admire the book in the sense that the author has provided a decent sense of realism. Decades later, the goal was (supposedly) achieved, so obviously we know that it's a possibility. But, I like the way Heinlein has produced a novel that has a lot of scientific details. To myself, a lamen, it seems that much of it is possible to me and reasonably understandable (even if it is outdated). Not only the chemistry information, but the mathematic discussion seems somewhat unique to this type of novel and offers mentally challenging theories.

I found the book to be interesting and, even though it's not really a relevant piece anymore, I think it's a marvellous tale that does not scientifically overstep it's boundaries.