Cynically Sweet (Booklikes)

Dead to the Max
Jasmine Haynes
The Street Philosopher
Matthew Plampin
The Lovely Harbor (Matt Ransom 4)
Bobby Underwood
JUST DESSERTS: a romance novella you won't want to put down
Emma Bennet
The Writing Circle (Voice)
Corinne Demas

Surrendered to the Pack: Paranormal Shapeshifter Werewolf Romance (Wicked Wolf Shifters Book 1) - Anna Craig Most people would be thankful to win the lottery. Not Cassandra Wakefield, however. A few months shy of her twenty second birthday, she is the unlucky winner of a town lottery. The prize is her surrender to a pack of wolf shifters in return for their word that they'll leave the town alone.

I didn't like any of the characters; none of them felt very real or natural. All of their personalities were lacking some sort of unique quality. Cassandra, in particular; her history seems to be kind of generic her narration- the way she tells her story- seems quite rehearsed. She doesn't seem like a very genuine character and her feelings lack any real quality; her fear and worries just seem lacklustre. Another thing is that her personality can kind of turn juvenile at the most inappropriate moments; she finds herself giggling every now and then. It's just somewhat awkward to read. The three main alpha wolves seemed very generic as well. Each had slightly different personalities from each other, but overall they were the same build and we just don't get to see enough of them to determine much of a difference or any kind of special aspect.

The plot is kind of interesting. Essentially, it sort of reminds me of some type of old story where Cassandra is a sacrifice (to the pack, in this case) in order to keep peace in the town. Though, I did have problems with the way the story was presented. Essentially, we only experience one night, where she's handed over and the wolves are meant to have their way with her. Though, the story halts, changes direction and then starts back up every now and then. Not to mention, there are some portions are repetitive; Cassandra thinks things and then those points get voiced or the events then happen. A lot of it is unnecessary. It's difficult for me to explain, but essentially there's a lot of unnecessary dialogue or scenes and I kind of feel like at least 70-80% of the novella is stalling for time. At the end of the story, we get introduced to the rest of the pack with a new interesting point. However, seeing as it's a cliff-hanger, the story gets cut short and we don't get to find out (just yet) the most interesting thing within the book.

Overall, I like the idea of the plot, but it just wasn't well executed. The characters are generic and lack any special qualities. The majority of the novella seemed forced and it kind of felt like the author was trying to stretch something (that was originally only one or two scenes) into an entire story. It was decent, though, and I do want to read more just based on the ending of it.

I received a free copy of this story in exchange for an honest review.