Cattereia

Cynically Sweet (Booklikes)

I'm not the most active user here on Booklikes. In fact, sometimes I forget that it even exists. However, I endeavor to come back and post more stuff that I enjoy.

My reviews aren't guaranteed to be something you agree with and my perspective on books isn't something most people generally want. However, I still hope that there's something you can gain from them and you don't feel as if you've wasted your time reading them.

Don't just take my word for it; read the books yourself and form your own opinion!

The Beekeeper's Secret
Dead to the Max
Jasmine Haynes
The Street Philosopher
Matthew Plampin
The Lovely Harbor (Matt Ransom 4)
Bobby Underwood
JUST DESSERTS: a romance novella you won't want to put down
Emma Bennet
The Writing Circle (Voice)
Corinne Demas

Book Review: A/Z of Wool Embroidery

— feeling love
A/Z of Wool Embroidery - R. Quilters, Sue Gardner

Title: A/Z of Wool Embroidery
Edited By: Sue Gardener
Categories / Themes: Non-fiction, craft, wool, stitches, how-to, sewing, embroidery
Read: 10th February, 2017
Rating: 5 / 5
Obtained: Borrowed from my mother.
Crossposted Review to: Goodreads

I've had an interest in sewing ever since I was a kid; my mother and nanna have always tried to encourage me to be creative. Though I don't necessarily have the money to take it up as a full-time hobby, I still like seeing the stuff that can be created. I have Pinterest boards dedicated to crafting and I adore seeing all the complex things one can make. I would say that I'm an intermediate stitcher. Personally, I think it's best for people at a beginner or intermediate level. However, I do encourage anyone at a higher level to give it a read; there's still a ton that I'm sure you can learn. I think this book teaches users very well. It breaks down each stitch with photographic examples and shows you how to create each one. Towards the middle of the book, it also gives examples of scenes to create, with the back dedicated to templates for the creation of such scenes. They're mostly wildlife; animals and flowers. However, if you're creative enough, I'm sure you can suit the templates and stitches to whatever you want to make

I know, in the title, it specifies wool. However, you can possibly do it with other mediums, such as cotton. It just depends on the pattern/ stitch you're trying. For example, Page 41 has a tutorial on how to make pompoms. I would recommend wool for this; as it provides a fluffier result. But, if we go a few pages further to Page 44, there's a tutorial on Roumanian Stitching. For this, I reckon it would be possible to achieve with cotton embroidery thread. Another interesting thing is that the book provides little bits of information. Pages 44 and 45 have notes on "Why Wool Shrinks" and "Caring for Wool Embroidery" respectively. I think these are good things for people to know.  I'm sure a lot of people will find these and the other notations to be quite useful.

Overall, I think it's definitely worth 5 stars. It's got some great information and it really gives me, as a user, the inspiration I need to create my own scenes. Obviously you won't get perfection on the first try, but keep on practicing and I'm sure you'll get better! I borrowed this copy from my mother; however it is certainly a book I would like to buy for myself in the future.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1908984948?